Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Love in Action - Here's a Plan

I found this quote this morning in my "A Word A Day" email from Anu Garg:

All I ask is this: Do something. Try something. Speaking out, showing up, writing a letter, a check, a strongly worded e-mail. Pick a cause -- there are few unworthy ones. And nudge yourself past the brink of tacit support to action. Once a month, once a year, or just once. -Joss Whedon, writer and film director (b. 1964)

What a great plan for turning passive love into an active verb. And Mr. Whedon hits on one of the biggest reasons why we don't always love as actively as we wish. It takes courage and effort to break inertia, to move from a body at rest to a body in motion. And his suggestion to do something...anything...is the only recipe for turning a body at rest, wanting to stay comfortably in that place, into a body in motion, one that wants just as much to remain in motion.

Thank you, Joss Whedon, for a well-stated call to action. Thank you, too, for Buffy and Angel and oh-my-yes Firefly and Serenity. But I digress. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sing with me...