Wednesday, September 10, 2008

On holy ground...

All my life's a circle;
Sunrise and sundown;
Moon rolls thru the nighttime;
Till the daybreak comes around.

All my life's a circle;
But I can't tell you why;
Season's spinning round again;
The years keep rollin' by.

I heard this Harry Chapin song tonight. It's always been one of my favorites of his, but tonight it struck me differently than it has before. I started thinking about faith and magic and ritual and circles...about how I cast a circle as an act of faith, in celebration or in need or in remembrance...and how I sometimes forget that all my life is a circle.

The world is a holy place, a sacred space, and every thought, every word, and every deed is a magical act. What I do every day...at work, in the grocery store, in my kitchen...is no less an act of will and intent than the most elaborate ritual, no less cabable of changing the world for good or ill.

I am change.
I am power.
I am always creating magic.

I must pay attention.

Another song came to mind, from Gaia Consort...

I will call the four directions,
I will cast a circle here;
I will put my feet upon this holy ground.

Let me start and end each day...
...consciously cultivating the strengths of the elements in my life;
...deliberately working everyday, ordinary magic in the circle of the Mother's spinning, blue-green body;
... gratefully recognizing that my feet are always on holy ground.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sing with me...