Sunday, February 14, 2010

Sunday Sounds: Love, Love, Love

To those who recognize such things, Happy Valentine's Day.  On a day devoted to romantic love, how can I not dedicate Sunday Sounds to himself, da' Bear, Mr. D. 


Mr. D has a saying that we've adopted in our household: "Love is a verb or it's a lie."  There's so much truth in those seven words. Love - romantic, Platonic, compassionate, universal, passionate, familial - every kind of love you can imagine, is an action word, an active concept. You can't love on paper. You can't love in words alone. Love does. Thank you, Mr. D., for making love an active, living center of our lives. And you're really hot, too. ::grin::


First up - "What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life" by the amazing pianist and composer Michel Legrand and vocalist Janusz Szrom.


Years ago, I worked as a singing waitress (yes...yes, I really did), and one of the performers in our little troupe sang this song nightly. I thought then and still believe it is one of the most beautiful love songs ever.





Next, Rascal Flatts, "Bless the Broken Road."  The story of our lives...'nuff said.





Finally, because I cannot make a post about love without breathing a prayer that we all  keep working toward universal, active, living love. "We are the boat. We are the sea. I sail in you. You sail in me."  


Peace.






What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life?
-Music by Michel Legrand lyrics by Alan Bergman and Marilyn Bergman


I want to see your face in every kind of light
In fields of dawn and forests of the night
And when you stand before the candles on a cake
Oh, let me be the one to hear the silent wish you make
What are you doing the rest of your life?
North and South and East and West of your life
I have only one request of your life
That you spend it all with me
All the seasons and the times of your days
All the nickels and the dimes of your days
Let the reasons and the rhymes of your days
All begin and end with me
I want to see your face in every kind of light
In the fields of dawn and the forests of the night
And when you stand before the candles on a cake
Oh, let me be the one to hear the silent wish you make
Those tomorrows waiting deep in your eyes
In the world of love that you keep in your eyes
I'll awaken what's asleep in your eyes
It may take a kiss or two
Through all of my life
Summer, Winter, Spring, and Fall of my life
All I ever will recall of my life
Is all of my life with you

Bless the Broken Road
-Marcus Hummon, Jeff Hanna, and Bobby Boyd

I set out on a narrow way many years ago
Hoping I would find true love
along the broken road
But I got lost a time or two
Wiped my brow and kept pushing through
I couldn't see how every sign
pointed straight to you.

Chorus:
Every long lost dream
led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart
They were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way
Into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That god blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you.

I think about the years I spent
Just passing through
I'd like to have the time I lost
And give it back to you
But you just smile and take my hand
You've been there, you understand
It's all part of a grander plan
That is coming true.

(Chorus)

Now I'm just rolling home
Into my lover's arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you

That God blessed  the broken road
That led me straight to you.


Somos el Barco
-Lorre Wyatt

Chorus:
Somos el barco, somos el mar, 
Yo navego en ti, tu navegas en mi
We are the boat, we are the sea, I sail in you, you sail in me 

The stream sings it to the river, the river sings it to the sea
The sea sings it to the boat that carries you and me 

Chorus 

The boat we are sailing in was built by many hands
And the sea we are sailing on, it touches every land 

Chorus 

So with our hopes we set the sails 
And face the winds once more
And with our hearts we chart the waters never sailed before 

Chorus

3 comments:

  1. I know I posted yesterday .. or maybe I dreamed it. I especially like the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great song, isn't it? Sadly, the young woman who used to sing it when I worked at the Station House was killed many years ago. I've always associated this song with her, and now that sad memory is attached, as well. The beauty of the song isn't diminished...I simply always think of her when I hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:52 PM

    God Bless The Broken Road is my "love song in waiting"... that and Michael Buble's Just Haven't Met You Yet. Great Valentine's songs!

    ReplyDelete

Sing with me...